Asheville is the perfect city for a weekend getaway or week-long vacation. As the largest mountain city on the East Coast, our area has the perfect blend of natural wonders and urban amenities.
Millions of tourists visit Buncombe County to experience our world-class arts scene, more than sixty breweries and infinite miles of Appalachian Mountains to explore.
Whether you are visiting the area or are a resident trying to get a handle on the best ways to have a good time in our great city, here are some of the best things to do in Asheville.
Things to Do in Asheville, NC
Here are a few ideas to help you make the most of your time in Asheville:
1) Tour the River Arts District (RAD): One of the places that truly makes Asheville special, the River Arts District features some of the world's best art galleries, as well as a number of restaurants, breweries, coffee shops, entertainment venues, and green spaces.
2) Take a Hike: There are literally thousands of miles of hiking and mountain biking trails to explore. A few hikes near the city include:
- Mount Pisgah: A three-mile, out-and-back hike to a panoramic 270-degree view. This hike is located about an hour from the city on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
- Rainbow and TurtleBack Falls: Located near Brevard, this four-mile out and back features two beautiful waterfalls.
- Hooker and Triple Falls: This three-mile hike is not too hard and features two of Dupont State Forest's best waterfall hikes.
- Max Patch: Near the town of Hot Springs, Max Patch is a historic bald that features a 360-degree view of the Blue Ridge Mountains. While the hike from the parking lot to the top of the bald and back is only 1.5 miles, you can add much more by traveling on the Appalachian Trail as it traverses the summit.
3) Enjoy Some Watersports: If the weather is warm, there are numerous ways to enjoy the water, including:
- Whitewater rafting
- Fly Fishing
- Float trips
4) Go on a Brewery Tour: If there is something for which Asheville is known other than art, it's breweries. There are dozens of craft breweries to explore in the city and surrounding communities. It will take multiple visits to truly enjoy them all.
5) Explore Downtown: If you visit downtown Asheville, you will find the backbone of our area. Small businesses make up the vast majority of the city's economy. Restaurants, cocktail bars, wine shops, breweries, record stores, and all kinds of small niche companies make the city unique. While you're downtown, make sure you put Off The Wagon Dueling Piano Bar on your list of places to check out.
Off The Wagon Dueling Piano Bar
What can you expect at Off The Wagon? The musicians will dazzle you with their extensive repertoire of popular tunes from the previous fifty years. It's an all-requests program, so let the artists wow you with their musical prowess.
It's a rock-and-roll, sing-along environment that's all about having a good time. You can also expect excellent drinks and great service. We are proud to carry on the dueling piano tradition right here in Asheville, NC. Stop by our bar for an excellent experience.